8 Things You Never Knew About Laughter | Gifts For Happy Relationships
Have You Laughed Today? (You Should!)
You know how they say “laughter is the best medicine”? Turns out it’s true! Laughter actually does help your body in a ton of ways! In fact, we did a little research and it turns out there are all kinds of crazy things about laughter that we’d never heard before. (For instance, that crazy laughter epidemic in 1962…)
And as you know, whenever we hear incredible facts, we have to share them with our favorite people. So get ready, here are a few of the wildest laughter facts we could find!
8 Things You Never Knew About Laughter
- In 1962, a laughter epidemic broke out in Tanzania. The outbreak began in a girls' school and spread to other communities, ultimately affecting 1,000 people and causing the temporary closure of 14 schools. Symptoms included cycles of laughing and crying that lasted from a few hours to 16 days.
- Monkeys and rats laugh.
- Laughter reduces pain, reduces blood sugar levels, increases glucose tolerance in diabetics and non diabetics, improves job performance, and brings people together. Turns out it really is a great medicine!
- Even forcing yourself to smile or to laugh can improve your mood.
- An agelast is someone who rarely or never laughs.
- Laughter yoga is a type of yoga that combines laughter, deep breathing, and playful exercises.
- Gelotophobia is the fear of laughter. Those who suffer from it respond to all laughter as if it is at their expense. Up to 13% of the population could be afraid of laughter.
- Research shows that couples who laugh together are more likely to have a longer relationship. What is important is not so much finding a partner with a sense of humor, but rather that partners can create humor together.
Stronger Relationships, One Laugh at a Time
How great is that that just a little kidding around can actually strengthen a relationship? And speaking of relationships—National Couples’ Day will be coming up on the 18th!
Why not remind your significant other how much they mean to you with a gift straight from the heart (and maybe an engraved joke just between the two of you on the back.)
Follow and tag us in a post on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube. Let's start a conversation!